National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) is a poverty alleviation project implemented by Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India. It was launched as ‘Aajeevika – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (NRLM)’ by the GOI’s Ministry of Rural Development in the year 2011 but was renamed as Deendayal Antayodaya Yojana (DAY-NRLM) in 2015.
This scheme is focused on promoting self-employment and organization of rural poor. The basic idea behind this programme is to organize the poor into SHG (Self Help Groups) groups and make them capable for self-employment.
OBJECTIVE OF NRLM
To reduce poverty by enabling the poor households to access gainful self- employment and skilled wage employment opportunities resulting in appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong and sustainable grassroots institutions of the poor.
FEATURES OF NRLM
- This scheme is an improved version of the earlier Swarnjayanti Gram Swarozgar Yojana (SGSY).
- It is partially supported by the World Bank.
- The mission aims at harnessing the inherent capabilities of the poor and equip them with capacities (such as knowledge, information, tools, finance, skills, and collectivization for them to take part in the economy.
- The scheme started with an agenda to cover 7 Crore rural poor households via Self Help Groups (SHGs) and federated institutions and support them for livelihoods collectives in 8-10 years.
- A minimum of one lady member of a rural poor household (with particular emphasis on the marginal sections) is to be brought in the network of an SHG.
- All households identified as poor through Participatory Identification of Poor are the beneficiaries under this scheme.
SUB SCHEMES UNDER NRLM
There are 4 sub schemes introduced under this scheme which will aid in poverty alleviation, which are listed as-
- Aajeevika Grameen Express Yojana (AGEY)
- Mahila Kisan Sashaktikaran Pariyojana (MKSP)
- Start-up Village Entrepreneurship Programme (SVEP)
- National Rural Livelihoods Project (NRLP)
In order to ensure affordable credit, DAY-NRLM has a provision for subvention on interest rate above 7% per annum for all eligible SHGs, who have availed loans from mainstream financial institutions.