Difference between NRE and NRO Account | CAIIB JUNE 2023
Are looking to clear your doubts in regard to NRE & NRO Account as per the CAIIB Syllabus 2023 and want to clear your CAIIB JUNE Attempt 2023?
Then you are at the right page!
We will clear all your doubts in regard to NRE & NRO Account as it has been prescribed in the Certified Associate of the Indian Institute of Bankers Syllabus 2023. After that we will give you details as to how you can clear your CAIIB JUNE 2023 Exams in the very first attempt!
So, let us begin with the topic of NRE & NRO Account.
NRE Account & NRO Account
NRIs can open two types of savings bank accounts with approved dealers and banks under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA): an NRE rupee account and an NRO rupee account.
NRIs must open their own NRE accounts according to the RBI. These accounts cannot be opened by someone with a power of attorney.
What is an NRE Account?
An NRE or Non-Resident External account is used to keep money earned in foreign currency in rupee denomination. The money deposited in an NRE account is converted into Indian currency at the time of deposit. These accounts can be in the form of savings, current, recurring, or fixed deposits.
NRE account is primarily used for carrying out business, personal banking and making investments in India. The person who holds the account is free to repatriate funds from foreign countries into India and from India to other countries.
Benefits of NRE Accounts:
Here are some benefits of Non-Resident External account (NRE) Accounts which make the NRE Accounts very popular amongst NRIs & those are listed below:
- Non-Resident External accounts are exempt from the tax. This means that both, the principal amount deposited and the interest you earn on the principal is free from tax.
- One is also free to repatriate the principal amount and the interest amount on principal without any restrictions. Repatriation, here, means transferability. And one is free to transfer their funds to a foreign account from a Non-Resident External account
- Non-Resident External accounts (NRE Account) can be used for personal purposes or for carrying on business-related activities in India. Although the primary purpose of NRE Accounts is to make direct investments in India.
What is an NRO Account?
The Non-Resident Ordinary account or the NRO account is used to manage the income earned in India like dividends, rental income, pension, etc.
Account holders can deposit and manage their accumulated rupee funds without any hassle. Funds deposited into a NRO account can only be kept in rupees and cannot be converted into foreign currency or repatriated. Although money cannot be sent outside India or converted into foreign currency from an NRO account, the account owner can send money into this account from a foreign country.
DIFFERENCE B/W NRE ACCOUNT & NRO ACCOUNT
|BASIS||NRE ACCOUNT||NRO ACCOUNT|
|Repatriability||Funds are completely and freely repatriable||Re-patriability is subject to taxes and only $1 Million in a financial year is allowed.|
|Taxation||Both principal and interest are exempted from tax.||Interest paid to an NRI will be taxed at 30% excluding surcharges.|
|Fund Transfer||Funds can be transferred from an NRE account to another NRE account as well as NRO account.||Funds from an NRO account cannot be transferred to an NRE account.|
|Joint Holding||NRE account can be jointly held with another NRI but not with resident Indian.||NRO account can be held with NRI as well as resident Indian (close relative) as defined under Section 6 of the Companies Act 1956.|
|Deposit rules||Indian income cannot be deposited here||Overseas income cannot be deposited|
|Currency fluctuations||The deposits in an NRE account are exposed to exchange rate fluctuations as well as conversion loss.||NRO account deposits are not exposed to daily currency fluctuations.|
SIMILARITY BETWEEN NRE ACCOUNT & NRO ACCOUNT
Both NRE & NRO accounts are Indian rupee (INR) accounts. One can open the accounts as savings accounts as well as current accounts. Also, the average monthly balance that is required to maintained for both accounts is Rs 75,000. The following table shows the differences between the NRE and NRO accounts:
Thus, both the NRE and NRO accounts serve different purposes. If the source of income is in India, NRO account should be opted as an NRE account will not serve this purpose. But if you just want to convert a part of foreign earnings into savings denominated in the Indian currency, the NRE account would be an ideal choice.
PASS CAIIB IN FIRST ATTEMPT | CAIIB LATEST STUDY MATERIAL 2023
If you want to pass the CAIIB this very last session where the current syllabus will be applicable for probably the last time, CAIIB 2023 exams should be prepared in the right & best way & to progress & do well in your banking career in CERTIFIED ASSOCIATE OF THE INDIAN INSTITUTE OF BANKERS, we assure you that we can make it more enjoyable & productive by providing you the conceptual clarity of various CAIIB concepts.
Learning Sessions is an online IIBF Courses platform where CAIIB & IIBF Exam’s Video Courses are prepared by the experts to help aspirants gain conceptual clarity & pass their Exam without much struggle.
All that we ask from the CAIIB aspirants is a bit of their time & focus and we assure them that they can clear CAIIB JUNE 2023 Attempt!
What you need to do is watch the CAIIB latest Video Classes prepared according to the Latest CAIIB Syllabus 2023! You can get the same from the following links & here are the some of the key highlights of the CAIIB Latest course 2023:
- CAIIB daily Live (ABM, BFM, ABFM, BRBL) + Recorded Lectures (HRM, IT & DB, Risk Management, and Central Banking)
- Lectures of CAIIB papers delivered by expert faculty
- 24 by 7 access to CAIIB Latest materials
- Unlimited views of recorded lectures
- Mock Tests which includes Memory Recalled Questions
- Most reasonable prices with Flexible packs
- English language / Hinglish language both are available for different packages
Access the Latest CAIIB courses through:
- Download Android App: LS PRO or IIBF LEARNING CENTER
- Download iOS App: My Institute (Code: gegkt)
- Visit the website for Exam Materials: info
For any query or for best offers on the JAIIB, CAIIB or other Certification Exams, message us:
You can also join us on
- Telegram Channel: IIBF Telegram Group
- YouTube Channel: Learning Sessions
- Instagram: Learning Sessions
All the Best for your Exams!
Team: Learning Sessions