ATMs / Point of Sale (POS) Terminals / Online Transactions
- As on Feb, 2014, there are over 1,50,008 ATMs (76836 onsite and 73172 off site) in India. Savings Bank customers can withdraw cash from any bank terminal up to 5 times in a month without being charged for the same (refer RBI circulars for latest changes).
- Reserve Bank has mandated re-crediting of failed transactions within 7 working day and mandated compensation for delays beyond the stipulated period.
- As on Feb, 2014, there are over 10 lakh POS terminals in the country, which enable customers to make payments for purchases of goods and services by means of credit/debit cards.
- To facilitate customer convenience the Bank has also permitted cash withdrawal using debit cards issued by the banks at PoS terminals.
- Further, to reduce the risks arising out of the use of credit/debit cards over internet/IVR (technically referred to as card not present (CNP) transactions), Reserve Bank mandated that all CNP transactions should be additionally authenticated based on information not available on the card and an online alert should be sent to the cardholders for such transactions.