Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana is a government scheme launched by the government of India to provide easy access to financial services such as Remittance, Credit, Insurance, Pension, Savings and Deposit Accounts to poor and needy sections of our society.
The scheme was launched with an objective to ensure that every individual/family should have atleast one bank account.
This scheme was launched in August 2014 and according to reports by the Ministry of Finance, around 4 crore bank accounts have been opened under this scheme till September 2014.
ELIGIBILITY TO APPLY FOR PMJDY
An individual can apply to open a PMJDY account is he satisfies the following criteria :-
- He must be a citizen of India
- He must be atleast 10 years of age
- He should not have any bank account.
HOW TO OPEN JAN DHAN YOJANA ACCOUNT ?
To open a Jan Dhan Yojana Account, you need to get the application form, that is available in both English and Hindi on the official website of PMJDY (https://www.pmjdy.gov.in/scheme). An individual can consider opening an account under this scheme with any bank branch or Business Correspondent (Bank Mitra) outlet.
The following details are required to be filled in the form –
- Basic identity details like name, address, Aadhaar number, PAN etc.
- Annual Income
- Number of dependents
- Details of assets, if any
- Existing bank account details of any family member.
Submit the application form along with necessary documents.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO OPEN PMJDY ACCOUNT
The following documents are required to be submitted to open this account-
- The passport,
- The driving licence,
- The Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card,
- The Voter’s ID issued by Election Commission of India,
- The Aadhar Card;
- Any other document as notified by the Central Government in consultation with the Regulator:
The accounts opened under this scheme can be opened with Zero balance and no charges are levied on such accounts.
Further, if an individual wants to have an access to the cheque facility, minimum balance is required to be maintained by him.
BENEFITS OF PMJDY SCHEME
- Accident Insurance Cover of Rs.1 lakh (enhanced to Rs. 2 lakh to new PMJDY accounts opened after 28.8.2018) is available with RuPay card issued to the PMJDY account holders.
- PMJDY accounts are eligible for Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT), Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY), Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY), Atal Pension Yojana (APY), Micro Units Development & Refinance Agency Bank (MUDRA) scheme.
- Eligible account holders can also have an overdraft facility upto Rs. 10,000 under this scheme.
- Insurance products and pension access is also available under this scheme.
- Account holders can check their balance using the mobile banking facility.
- The account holders under this scheme are eligible for interest on the deposits made towards the saving accounts opened by them.
Thus, in simple words, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana is a nationwide scheme launched by the Government of India to ensure financial inclusion of every individual who does not have a bank account in India and also to ensure access to financial services, namely, a basic savings & deposit accounts, remittance, credit, insurance, pension in an affordable manner.